Clinical cases from the HUP Neurology Dispensary, 1875-1889


When the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania opened in 1875, the Dispensary for Nervous Diseases was one of seven dispensaries at the Hospital. Located in the basement, the dispensaries provided clinical care for patients who were not sick enough to be admitted to the hospital, or were unwilling to be admitted. The Dispensary was open every day but Sunday and holidays, with the neurological dispensary starting at 12:30. Dr. Charles Karsner Mills (M1869, PhD 1871) was appointed the first Chief of the Dispensary for Nervous Diseases, reporting to Dr. Horatio C. Wood, Jr. (M1862) who oversaw all neurological cases at the Hospital as Clinical Lecturer of Nervous Diseases on the Medical Staff. (-- from the description of the dispensary by Joseph-James Ahern).

The original clinic notebooks for the dispensary are available and include the hand-written clinic notes of the physician for each case that was seen. A recent news report describes the notebooks in greater detail.

Several residents have a particular interest in the history of neurology (in particular Class of 2017 resident Josh VanDerWerf) and hold a regular discussion group with Dr. Joseph Berger on the topic.

More

Popular Posts

Contact Information

Department of Neurology
3 Gates, Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania
3400 Spruce Street
Philadelphia, PA 19104

Frances E. Jensen, MD, FACP
Chair of Neurology

Raymond S. Price, MD
Program Director

Vanna Hing, Residency Coordinator
Telephone: (215) 662-3370
PennNeuroResidency@uphs.upenn.edu